
WATCH: IL Hospital Association: $50B rural hospital fund ‘woefully inadequate’
(The Center Square) – Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker continues sounding the alarm over federal health care subsidies as the White House insists it’s shoring up benefits for those who deserve them.
Pritzker took part in a roundtable discussion Friday in Southern Illinois and said people will die because of estimated reductions in health care subsidies.
“And it’s all because they want to provide a massive tax cut for the wealthiest people in the country,” Pritzker said. “I just don’t understand the thinking.”
Last week in Georgia, Vice President J.D. Vance was asked about Democrats’ criticism that the law will remove people from the health care subsidies. Vance said the law President Donald Trump signed is meant to preserve benefits for those who deserve them.
“The only people that we say should not get free government health care benefits are illegal aliens and those who refuse to try to even look for a job,” Vance said. “It’s very common sense.”
The federal law includes a $50 billion fund for rural hospitals nationwide to utilize for equipment they need to continue operation. Vance said those with concerns should take note.
“We put a lot of resources and a lot of changes and regulations to make it possible for our rural hospitals to stay open despite what the Biden administration did to them for four years,” Vance said.
Illinois Hospital Association President and CEO A.J. Wilhelmi acknowledged the $50 billion fund for rural hospitals.
“But I think we would all agree that when we’re talking about $50 billion out of a trillion dollars in cuts to Medicaid, that is woefully inadequate,” Wilhelmi said sitting next to Pritzker Friday. “Nevertheless, these funds are critically important to rural hospitals and providers in this room and across the state of Illinois.”
According to the IHA, Illinois has 86 small and rural hospitals in the state, making up 38% of all hospitals statewide.
Latest News Stories

New Lenox Police Chief Louis Alessandrini Retires; Sgt. David Nykiel Promoted in Leadership Transition

Monee to Receive $250,000 Donation in Solar Project Agreement

New Lenox Park District Board Approves 2025-2026 Budget

Staffing Shortage Leads D122 to Renew Contract for School Psychologist

Meeting Summary: New Lenox Township for June 12, 2025

New Lenox Approves Major Residential Subdivision, Paves Way for Route 6 Commercial Growth

Contractor Selected for Sharon’s Bay Park Redevelopment

Contractor Selected for Sharon’s Bay Park Redevelopment

Handbook Changes at D122 Include Swapping PSAT for PreACT

New Dining Options Coming as Village Approves Hot Dog Stand, Restaurant Patio

Meeting Summary: New Lenox Park District for June 18, 2025

Monee Board Sets Spending Plan with 2025-2026 Appropriations Ordinance
